Utilizing the donation from the West Japan Railway Company’s “Carbon Offset Benefit program for Club J-WEST members,” KMFA subsided forest conservation projects included below in FY 2017. As implementation projects of the Forest Fund, KMFA adopted five forest maintenance projects applied from Kyoto Prefectural area, by which mainly thinning of planted forests or broad-leaved forests to promote growth was conducted.
Including the contribution of voluntary activities held at Club J-WEST’s Forest designated in Nantan-city, the total estimated amount of CO2 absorption is 116.18 t – CO 2 / year, promoting the forests’ growth. The Forest Fund utilization project cost adds up to 5,903,359 yen, and the area in which thinning is conducted spreads to 17.85 ha.
116.189 t – CO 2 / year, CO2 absorption amount,
Main tree species: Japanese cedar, Japanese cypress, pine, oak, etc.
Age (age level): 2 to 22 year-
*CO2 emissions from an average household in Japan is approximately 3.49 t – CO 2 (*) per year.
The absorption amount of 116.18 t is equivalent to approximately 33 households’ emissions.
※ … Ministry of the Environment “Survey on Estimation of Carbon Dioxide Emission from Household Nationwide Examination Survey (October 2014 – September 2015)”
list N Project/Partner/Location/Type of Practice/area/CO 2 absorption (t)
- Takei Production Forestry Association/Nantan City/thinning broad-leaved forest/0.95 ha/ -/
- Forest Minamiyamashiro/Minamiyamashiro village/planted forest thinning/8.35 ha/47.29 t – CO 2/
- Kumogahata Commons/Yui Forestry Association/Kita-Ward, Kyoto City/Planted Forest Thinning 3.30 /ha/ 32.83 t – CO 2
- Yasuba-machi Somaren/Ayabe City/thinning planted forests and broad-leaved forest/4.20 ha/31.58 t – CO 2
- Uji Kikori no Kai/Ujidawara cho/thinning mixed forest 1.00 ha/ 4.18 t – CO 2
- Kyoto Model Forest Association/Nantan City/improvement cutting of broad-leaved forest/ 0.05 ha/ 0.30 t – CO 2
Total 116.18 t – CO 2